Amazon Banner

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Zen Baby Legs Crochet Pattern

Blogging is so brand new to me, I have decided I like it, I have also decided that if I want people to read my blog, I have to read others.  I have also decided that it might be nice if I share a link to a post from another Blogger with you. Not Just any post, but one that strikes me that day. Today's is from Beatrice Ryan Designs.  She impressed me today See the link there in RED

Now, on to my offering for the day:

This pattern is so cute, if I do say so myself.  My grand daughter loves leg warmers, sometimes.
She has her favorite colors, and her favorite features. Soft, not too textural, not too tight, but not so loose they fall down. Her latest request is something to keep them from pulling up too much when she does have to pull them up. (like after running or dancing)

I started these Wednesday Afternoon, and was so excited. It was just a thought, The more rounds I did, the more I liked it. They are way too cute, They are light, Airy, delicate, but not flimsy. A true break from the weighted down heavy we have needed this winter season.  I am so ready for spring.

I posted a picture on face book asking for name suggestions, and I got a few, I have not quite found the one that grabs me, so I am waiting.

What's say we start with the pattern?

Starting with a soft, fine weight yarn, and an H hook
confirm your gauge of 14 DC and 8 Rows in 4 inches.
too many stitches? go with a larger hook, Not enough? yup, smaller hook.  Too Short, Think Tall as you work your stitch, try not holding your working yarn so tightly. Too Tall, Well, aren't you an odd ball. hold on to that yarn just a little.

Once your gauge is confirmed, you will have no problem making these wonderful leg warmers for any child.  This is written to fit a 4 to 6 year old.  If I have enough interest, I will do the math, and add more sizes.

Fdc 29, ch 3, and join to the base of your first dc.
if your Foundation DC's look anything like mine, you are going to LOVE this technique.
 The stitches themselves are fine. It is the Eyelet lace look at the bottom that I am unhappy with. This one is pretty consistent, sometimes the loops are different sized, and pulled askew. Looks like one of the kittens got hold of it. Even though it is getting better, this is not the edge I want, so, we are not going to use it.
 Here you see that I have ch3, and slst to the foundation, where I would have built the next st. This gives us 30 total st for this round. Except, it isn't a round,  yet
 Drop your working loop from the hook, insert the hook through the very first ch. through the hole where the tail starts. Do this from the front side, so that your right side will be facing when the joint is completed.
 Now pull the working loop through, snug up the working loop and ch 1.pull snug to finish the joint.
 You can see here how you actually have two ch3 next to each other, you will use the tail and a yarn needle to secure this closed.  Now look at the top edge of our tube, Beautiful, clear stitches, no goofy loops, but ALL the stretch of the fdc.  All those goofy loops, they are at the top, about to be worked over, hidden from view, to be forgotten, until you start the second leg warmer.
Rnd 2.  Ch3, FPDC over the 2nd ch3, BPDC over next 3, FPDC over next 3, all the way around. Finish round with 1 FPDC, slst to ch 3. ch3 to start next round
R3 to R5 Repeat R2,
R6 ch3, sk 1 dc, sc in the next,ch3, sk1 dc, sc in the next, around to the last dc. ch1, dc in the dc you started the round in. This will give you the elevation you need to start this round.
From here, you will be working in a spiral, with out joining your rounds.
R7 Ch2, sc in the ch 3 loop, ch 2, sc in next loop, all the way around.
R8. Ch 1, sc in next loop, ch1, sc in next loop around.
R9. Ch 2 sc in next ch space. ch 2, sc in next.Around
R10. Ch 3, sc in next loop. use a marker to indicate your first ch 3 loop. continue around, ch 3, sc in the loop
Repeat rounds 7 to 10 4 more times, until you have 5 of the ch1  rounds, you will end on a ch 3 round.
DC in the next sc, Dc in the ch3 space. around. join with a slst.
Ch3 FPDC over next dc, BPDC over next 3, work around. Finish the round with 1 fpdc, slst around the ch 3 at the beginning of the round. Repeat round 3 more times. Slst to the last fpdc,     Do not bind off.
Stirrup

 Ch 1, Yarn Over, and insert hook into the top of the last BPDC in the next set.  Complete DC, It will be virtually laying sideways across the end of the group of BPDC.

 Yarn over, and insert hook into the base of the last dc Made, We are doing FDC now.
But I want you to catch the two threads, so there will not be quire as much stretch.
Continue the FDC for a total of 9


Now we are going to attach these 9 to the other side, with the 10th FDC.
Look how the stirrup is coming off the side at a 3bpdc space, we will attatch it about 1/3 of the way arround. Skip the 2 fpdc groups, and the bpdc between them.





Insert hook in the top of the Last BPDC  of the next group.
 draw loop through, 2 loops on hook
Yarn over and insert hook into base of FDC of Stirrup. (as if making the next DC)
and now insert hook through the first BPDC of the group.  yarn over, and pull through both layers that are being joined.
You now have 4 loops on hook, and we can complete the dc, and the joining of our
 We Y/O, draw through the first 2 loops. Y/O again and pull through all three.
 It is just a smidge bulkier than a normal DC
 poke hook through the next fpdc, and slst to secure it.
 Cut yarn, and bury ends.  One down, one to go.
Allie is tickled, and eager to get all gussied up for a photo shoot, but she has to hold on to that enthusiasm until after school tomorrow.

Oh, in the process of getting this finished, the perfect name was offered by Cheryl Pledge Kardell.  May I present the "Zen Baby Legs"  legwarmers.















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you