Amazon Banner

Friday, April 25, 2014

Put your heart into it Free Kitchen Scrubbie

In case you have not caught on, I am a fan of really useful crochet.

Would you like to add this gem to your arsonal?  We can get started now.
For this project, you will need

N Crochet Hook (For body of Heart)
H Crochet Hook (For surface crochet of Netting)
Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn, 3 strands, in any color you like
Coarse Nylon Netting, cut in 1 inch strips
Scissors
Needle
A Pattern, I chose this one from Planet June  ( I have used a Heart shape many times, but recently discovered this pattern, I truly Love it. Much better shape, and easier construction than my original..)

Using Junes Pattern for the Large Heart, with 3 strands of cotton and the N hook, construct your foundation, exactly according to pattern for round 1.
For round 2, I want you to follow the pattern, with a slight modification of the multiple stitches into one. For those, I want you to place the last stitch of the group in the post of the stitch, thus spreading your placement just a smidge. This will provide a better base for your netting layer. (See the pictures for further explanation)
See the V there, one string is red, the other is yellow, your final stitch of the group will be placed there, to allow a bit more movement in your yarn. 3 strands can get bulky, even with a large hook. By spreading the Love, your Heart will be in better shape.
This is how the stitch looks after you have placed the final stitch in it. Kind of cool the way it is all secured there.
The third round is made exactly according to June's pattern. Isn't this great, the shape is so perfect, It goes together so quickly. Oh, for the tip of the point, place those stitches the way I had you do for round 2. (All of them)

Now for the closing, I went a bit nuts with the pictures, but it makes a difference in the finished look, as well as how your ends will be dealt with.  After you make the last stitch of round 3, remove the hook, turn the heart over, and follow these simple steps.
Insert hook through fabric, in the next stitch

Grab working loop, and pull it through to the back of your work.

Yarn over and pull it through to seal the slip stitch

Pull the yarn through, far enough that you have ends to work with,
about 3 inches is good. Cut in the center of the loop.

Using each end individually, secure this, tugging each one, but not pulling so tight as to snap your yarn.
Just a little more to do before we add our netting.  it matters, hang in there.
Using your H hook now, Use loops along the back or your Heart to secure the ends you just cut
Insert hook under loop, grab yarn tail and draw it down

Repeat this with another place that seems logical to you, the goal is to bring this tail
to the end from your starting ends at the center of the heart.

Once the tails are close enough, tie each color together once,
like the first step in tying your shoelaces. don't form a knot,  secure each of the three yarns this way, then grab a needle to bury each of the six ends, going out from the center, in different directions.

Whooo Hooo, Heart is done, and for the first one, it took longer than you thought, simply because you were going back and forth between June's instructions and mine. The next one will take about half the time, because it really is simple once you have done it!

Lets look at our heart now, to determine which side to place our netting. This piece is crochet in the round, with no turns, so there is a designated right side, and wrong side.  The netting will go on the wrong side, because of the loops that naturally form there. So, for all you rebels out there, this is a time when the wrong side is the right side!  Feel better now?  I Do,  I tend to be somewhat rebellious. It is fun, keeps people wondering.
Okay, Here we go with a ton of pictures.  If you don't like it, feel free to amble off into your own experience. Just because I lay out guidelines here, it is not mandatory for you to follow them. If it were, you would not be looking at this, as I would not have been able to do it!
Just take a gander at all these loops we have to work with.  to keep your netting from ripping, and the heart from getting really sloppy, I encourage a minimum of 2 strands of yarn for each stitch base.

Starting in the center of the heart, you will see the stitches have 3 legs, the first in the center hole, the second, and then the top, where the next round is worked. I like to use the second leg, or bump if you will. insert hook under it, just on the surface, not all the way through your fabric. pull netting through to form a working loop.  Ch 1 to secure it. Keep the netting somewhat loose here, so as not to break it. The hook should slide pretty freely inside the working loop

Insert hook under next stitch loop, draw netting through, and sc, ch 1, and repeat. working around the center, under the second bump of the stitch

As I said, try to be sure you have two strands of yarn that you attach the netting to prevent a fragile scrubbie. 

When you have the first round done, it is sort of heart shaped, but not likely to be perfect.
You can cut your netting, or work in a spiral, out from the center.

Where the rounds meat, there are an abundance of loops to choose from, it does not matter,
as long as you remain consistent in your choice, and put the ch 1 between each sc.
this allows more abrasive quality, and prevent the netting from being too tight.
I chose to spiral my netting, I am not sure I like it, but I do Love the colorfulness of this sample.
I did it so I could better show details in pictures.
My Grandchildren have all shown me that hearts
do not have to be red, pink and white anymore.
if there is a color you like, by all means, go for it

And this is the washcloth side of the finished item.
perfect for the counter, tabletop, or where ever you need
a clean wipe down, with out any abrasive roughness.


Now, The Legal stuff.  This is my creation. I used someone elses pattern, is it mine? Yes, and NO!  June from Planet June designed the Heart.  I linked to her pattern, with her permission.  In the descriptions of the changes I made, I did not reveal her pattern on my blog post.  I am taking credit for the SCRUBBIE, and giving credit to the designer of the original pattern.

This can be done with any motif by the way. It could be a flower, a bow tie, almost anything out there. I chose this one for it's superior quality.
Special Thanks to June for the pattern, and her gracious permission to use her work in this way.

I guess I best say. DO NOT PUT THIS IN THE DRYER it will melt!  you can send it through the dishwasher, if the heat dry is turned off.
If you want to add a hang cord to allow it to air dry, simply chain 30 with a single strand of cotton yarn, slst to form a loop.  cut your yarn and hide your ends. slip the loop through the fabric, pull the rest of the loop through that. There ya go, licket split. good to go!

Until Next time
Becky



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you