Amazon Banner

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

PPD~Post Pattern Depression

Wow!
I admitted it!

I am really DOWN!



I developed a concept, created a sample, wrote the pattern. It has been created, tested, photographed, and presented. A discount was offered.
ONE copy of the pattern has been purchased.
In essence, if I break this down for you,  OVER 50 hours of work went into creating this one pattern, and I have been compensated with $2.00. ( actually 1.86, as paypal got their cut)

Can I share a not so secret fact with you? Besides the math, (that is less than .03 per hour)

This is why blogs are being monetized. Why there are highlighted words with pop ups that have nothing to do with crochet, in the middle of a free pattern.

This is why you are being chastised for sharing patterns on other sites, and why MANY designers are ready to throw in the towel.

I know that the pattern I created is not to the everyone's liking. I understand that there are significant patterns out there, some free, some paid. There is a monotony of competition for your dollars. It is painfully clear that people have been conditioned to look for discounts, and to get as much as they can for as little as possible. I too do this.


It is heartbreakingly clear that as people demand higher pay,  the demand for higher prices on the retail end have to follow. It is a vicious circle. There is no end; Except for the independent business person. The little guy, who has invested 96 hours a week, has  tried everything they can think of, and has been trampled by corporations able to spring up on the corner that was your favorite place to play as a child.

My entire life, I have been a fighter. I spent 38 years hearing my mom's voice say "You're a survivor; You're gonna make it!"  One day, through tears, I asked her "WHEN, Momma? When am I gonna make it?"   She laughed at me, and told me it is an ongoing process, and that I had been doing it for years.  She has not uttered that phrase since that day.  I still hear it, at times like this.

This is not a pity party, this is not a beg for sales pitch!  This is fair warning.  You may find yourself in a world of hurt looking for a great new pattern, that simply is in the mind of an artist who cannot afford to share with you.

With every ounce of courage I can muster, I am hitting the publish button, in hopes that you will recognise what each of the designers out there goes through. How much time, energy, heart goes into each pattern presented.
Be kind, thank the designers, purchase the patterns you love, honor the copyrights of these independent little guys.

I Love doing what I do,  I will survive, or I will die trying.

Grammy





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you